Thursday, October 14, 2010

Two things...


Add caption
A few years ago a southern state, I think it was Georgia, was experiencing a terrible drought. The people were put on water use restrictions. Stories about conserving your water usage were on the news everyday. Months had gone by without a nice soaking rain. Farmers in the area would watch the weather reports with baited breath in hopes their crops wouldn't be lost that year. The more time went by the more serious the situation became. The Governor (or a prominent religious leader) decided to call a prayer service for anyone who wanted to attend. He wanted God to open the storehouses in heaven and bless his creation with rain. The local news played host to this announcement along with all the details of the time, location and a request to bring something that would help direct the prayers.

The day arrived. It was a beautiful day in the park. The sun shone like it had never shone before. The sky was a beautiful blue without clouds. Religious leaders came from all over the state carrying their holy books, prayer clothes, candles and other things. They came in their dark colored suits and ties. They came in their religious garb. The news crews were there to report on this event. As they were getting settled in this park the crowd parted, there stood a little boy with a red umbrella and a yellow rain coat. The officiator was so moved all he could say was there is nothing like the faith of a child.

News casters later interviewed the child. When asked what he was thinking that day the boy stated, "I saw the news reports on the TV. I begged my parents to come to the park that day. They didn't really want to drive to the park but they finally let me come. I just wanted to play in the rain..."

This story has stuck to me like super glue, since the day I heard it. I want to have umbrella faith in my life! It has applied to many different situations over the years, but has forced me to think outside the box. I ask myself what would my umbrella and raincoat be in this situation? The answer usually surprises me and makes me thankful for my life.




In addition to the above story, I've had this delicious song stuck in my head. It is from the Madame Blueberry Movie. In the movie, Madame Blueberry is a wealthy hoarder because she thinks it brings her happiness. She is going about her business and stumbles upon a minimalistic birthday party for a poor family. The young little guy is singing the lyrics to the Thankfulness Song: (I tried to find the video on YouTube without luck.)


I thank God for this day,
For the sun in the sky,
For my mom and my dad,
For my piece of apple pie!

For our home on the ground,
For His love that's all around,
That's why I say thanks every day!

Because a thankful heart is a happy heart!
I'm glad for what I have,
That's an easy way to start!

For the love that He shares,
'Cause He listens to my prayers,
That's why I say thanks every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment