Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mayo

This is going to be an odd blog. I was just sitting here eating a chicken salad sandwich on toasted wheat bread, when I thought I don't really like mayo. Weird, right? I'm eating a sandwich that is a compilation of chicken, grapes, toasted walnuts, and you guessed it mayo. Mayo on its own is slimy. It reminds me of cold chicken grease. Mayo even smells gross, like three day old dirty socks. It usually adds about a bazillion un-necessary calories to a normally delicious sandwich. Why am I eating it then?

Well I thought mayo as a condiment is nasty, but in a salad it is a peacemaker. Salads are usually comprised of many strong flavors and textures. Mayo makes each of those items stand out while giving them boundaries. It makes you notice them in an appreciation of each flavor. Mayo then makes a stand itself letting your remember it's place, too. We can be like mayo. Stand alone and we never have the rough edges worn away. Put us in a salad, we can be an individual, a peacemaker, and a reminder. Be mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment